WELCOME LOVELY PEOPLE TO MY BLOG ON EVERYTHING THAT IS CHIC RIGHT NOW. FASHION, MUSIC, ART, DECOR, BOOKS & FILMS, THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS!

Saturday 9 July 2011

Chair Transformation

I adore big comfy velvet armchairs that you can curl up in with a good book and and a glass of wine, I was particularly keen on Habitats' Chester version in purple (above) at £800, but I would have loved it even more in a deep navy blue.
I already had this cheap armchair which was bought as a temporary space filler in our rented furnished apartment, I never really loved it and planned to sell it on ebay when we moved into our new home. I just didn't see the maroon, office chair material piece fitting in to our stylish plans.
Then I had an idea... I could buy the material in the colour I really wanted and reupholster the chair! So, I began by carefully removing the hundreds of staples securing the current fabric to the wooden framed chair and then using the fabric as a template to cut the pieces for the new material. I wasn't worried about damaging the chair as it was only a cheap one that I hadn't planned on keeping anyway but I perhaps would have been a little more cautious had it been more expensive!
Halfway through the tranformation the sides and foot sections of the material are placed onto the chair to test the fit before sewing together
The finished chair is exactly how I imagined and when we have moved to our new home, spent hours stripping wallpaper, sanding wood and painting walls I will thoroughly enjoy putting my feet up and relaxing in my beautiful armchair.

Love
Lorraine Lacroix

No comments:

Post a Comment